Interview with Self-Published Author Gina Heumann

In our series of self-publishing interviews, we are talking today to Gina Heumann, who is a true Renaissance woman: wife, mother, architect, designer, instructor, author, speaker, and sales rep for an award-winning Napa Valley winery. She and her husband, Aaron, adopted Landrey in 2001 from Guatemala and then went back for Maddox three years later. Gina’s love of learning and dedication as a mother inspired her research of different treatments and therapies that eventually led to this inspirational success story about conquering Reactive Attachment Disorder. Her latest book is Love Never Quits: Surviving & Thriving After Infertility, Adoption, and Reactive Attachment Disorder.


You self-published your latest book, Love Never Quits. Would you please tell us why you chose the self-publishing route? 

I chose self-publishing because I wanted to have more control over my story, cover design, interior layout, etc. I also felt I could finish my project faster than going through the more traditional route. I knew several authors who used a local publishing consulting firm, and they all had such fabulous experiences that I went on their recommendations.

Take us through the process. You had an idea for your book, you wrote it, then you decided to find a publisher. What were your experiences with that? Or did you decide to self-publish without looking any farther?

I did talk to a publisher briefly, but after meeting the consultants from My Word Publishing, I had a lot of faith in their experts and knew they would help me create the book I envisioned.

What different online stores carry your book?

Right now it’s just available on Amazon, but there may be more someday down the road.

Authors who go the traditional route have an edge over self-published authors in regards to distribution to bookstores. How did you handle that as a self-published author? 

I have an amazing team of experts at my disposal, helping me with the marketing process, launching my speaking career, and spreading the word about my story.

On the other hand, self-published authors have the edge over traditional books in the regards that the author has all the control. I’d like to begin with your cover. Did you make it or did you have someone else design it? If you had someone else, can you tell us who it is?

I’m a designer in my other career, so I had the idea in my head from the beginning. I did a mockup of what I wanted and then hired Victoria Wolff to help me make it happen. I am extremely proud of the finished cover design!

So where do you see self-published authors making the biggest mistakes overall?

I know a lot of self-published authors that don’t use a professional editor, proofreader, or cover designer, and then it’s more obvious that it’s been self-published. I felt it was important to invest in the right team to ensure the book was professionally done.

What do you believe the biggest advantages are when self-publishing?

Control! I loved being able to have input throughout the entire process. I also own all the rights to my story, so should I decide to do something else with it, I don’t have to get lawyers involved.

What was the hardest challenge for you to self-publish your book?

It’s actually been a fairly easy process, so I don’t think I’ve had too many challenges. I anticipate the biggest challenge will be just getting the word out and finding readers, as well as booking some speaking gigs.

They say self-publishers are control freaks. Do you think there is a lot of truth in that?

Ha ha! I do like to have control. As a designer, I loved being able to control how the book looked on both the inside and the outside.

Did you get someone to format your book for you or did you do that?

Victoria Wolff, my cover designer, did the interior formatting and she did an amazing job!

What steps are you taking to promote it?

I am currently working with PUYB to do a virtual book tour. I’m speaking at several adoption agencies, camps, and mom’s groups. I’m creating a marketing plan, submitting for reviews and awards, and trying to get the book as much exposure as possible through social media.

Do you have any advice you’d like to share with other self-published authors?

I would recommend using a publishing consultant to help you through the process and make sure you don’t forget anything. And most of all, JUST DO IT! Don’t become one of those authors who says they’re going to write a book and then never does. Get it on paper and the dream can become a reality!

If you would like to find out more about Gina Heumann and her books, take a look at her website and follow her on Facebook.
 

Comments