Interview with Self-Published Author Duane Byrge

In our series of self-publishing interviews, we are talking today to Duane Byrge, who has written for The Hollywood Reporter for more than 20 years. Starting out as a secretary for the entertainment industry newspaper while he was a graduate student at the University of Southern California, Byrge rose to serve in various capacities, including news editor and senior film critic. He serves as a consultant to the Chicago International Film Festival, where he brought Halle Berry to Chicago in 2001 for a career tribute. His latest book is The Red Carpet at Cannes.


You self-published your latest book, The Red Carpet at Cannes. Would you please tell us why you chose the self-publishing route? 

Traditional publishers are sluggish  bureaucracies, whose marketing departments do not have the skill or acumen  of my  publicist, Charles Barrett. Plus, I collect a bigger share from Amazon and don't  have to support the overhead of New York corporate outfits.

Authors who go the traditional route have an edge over self-published authors in regards to
distribution to bookstores. How did you handle that as a self-published author? 

What bookstores? You mean the handful of Barnes & Noble outposts that sell calendars, weight-loss tomes, and serve as Starbucks cafeterias?

On the other hand, self-published authors have the edge over traditional books in the regards that the author has all the control. I’d like to begin with your cover. Did you make it or did you have someone else design it? If you had someone else, can you tell us who it is?

I had the vision and concept for the cover, using the gorgeous setting of the Cannes Film Festival as my focus.  I then engaged Kindle Direct Publishing to have their expert team carry out my vision. They were very receptive to my revisions and suggestion. I was very happy with the tantalizing  cover that resulted.  People rave about my cover, even my  most critical friends.

What do you believe the biggest advantages are when self-publishing?

You don't have to wait and wait for answers from the publishing-chain  minions and their dubious advice.

They say self-publishers are control freaks. Do you think there is a lot of truth in that?

I don't know any other self-publishers.

What steps are you taking to promote it?

I have hired a top book publicist, who  is doing a great job. His name is Charles Barrett.

If you would like to find out more about Duane Byrge and his books, take a look at his website and follow him on Twitter.

Comments