Interview with Self-Published Author Leonard Bassed


 In our series of self-publishing interviews, we are talking today to Leonard Bassed, who is a writer-actor-singer Leonard Bassed born in the town of Middleburg, Mpumalanga and raised in Johannesburg.  He started taking vocal lessons at age eight and studied drama throughout his high school years.  A mentor encouraged him to pursue an acting career.  Leonard went on to complete acting classes in both South Africa and later Los Angeles.  Currently, when not writing or singing, Leonard continues to study acting techniques with the renowned Margie Haber Studio in Hollywood. In his free time, he enjoys travel, reading and movie going.  His latest book is The Witch Port Video Game.

You self-published your latest book, The Witch Port Video Game. Would you please tell us why you chose the self-publishing route? 

I self-published my novel The Witch Port Video Game, because apart from my song writing it’s my first published work. I wanted to maintain complete creative control, from the cover art and size of the book to every last detail. There is also a lot of waiting around associated with getting published traditionally, I guess the actor in me wanted to take back my power and rebel by getting my work out there.
Take us through the process. You had an idea for your book, you wrote it, then you decided to find a publisher. What were your experiences with that? Or did you decide to self-publish without looking any farther?

I had an idea for the pilot script, the book came afterwards. I ultimately decided to self-publish, it wasn’t a decision I took lightly, but at the time I felt it was the best decision for me. 
What different online stores carry your book? 

Readers are encouraged to visit my website all the purchase links will be posted their, as well as any notifications regarding future books. 

Authors who go the traditional route have an edge over self-published authors in regards to distribution to bookstores. How did you handle that as a self-published author? 

Yes, traditionally published authors do have an easier time getting their books into stores. I’ve been in contact with book distributors, they tend to have the networks needed to get your book on the shelves. It also helps if you drive sales by selling copies yourself, shops stock things that sell.  

On the other hand, self-published authors have the edge over traditional books in the regards that the author has all the control. I’d like to begin with your cover. Did you make it or did you have someone else design it? If you had someone else, can you tell us who it is?

The concept of the image is my own, I had put together some references of what I was after and enlisted the help of Chantal de Villiers a talented graphic designer back home to design the cover art.

So where do you see self-published authors making the biggest mistakes overall?

No book is perfect but our job as the author/publisher is to get it as close to that as we can. This often means outsourcing, assembling the right team to help your book be the best it can be. With self-published authors funding is usually an issue, and that might lead some to try and cut cost, this often proves detrimental to the book.

What do you believe the biggest advantages are when self-publishing?

I believe the biggest advantages of self-publishing is the authority you retain around your project; you have the final say. The next advantage is monetary, while your reach is limited as a self-published author if your book does well you take home the lion’s share.
What was the hardest challenge for you to self-publish your book?

The whole thing was just such a steep learning curve, I really had to rise to the occasion. I battled with figuring out which steps to take next and when. I’m right-brained I know this about myself, but I had to follow through on the business side of things as well. 
They say self-publishers are control freaks. Do you think there is a lot of truth in that? 
I’m definitely a control freak, and I’d imagine most writers that go this route are too. I can’t however say its true for all of them.   
Did you get someone to format your book for you or did you do that?

I formatted my novel with the help of my editor, and approached someone else to format the e-book version. 

What steps are you taking to promote it? 

I promoted my book on my website and also social media. I’m promoting my book by doing a Virtual Book Tour press campaign, something I’m working on with my publicist, which brings me to a point I made earlier about having the right team of people on board.
Do you have any advice you’d like to share with other self-published authors?

You only have one attempt at a first book, so don’t rush the process. Yes, the final say may rest with you but heed the advice of others. Invest in your work have it edited and refined because once it out that’s it, there are no do overs. 

If you would like to find out more about Leonard Bassed and his books, take a look at his website and follow him on Twitter or Facebook.
 

 

Comments