Interview with Self-Published Author Angela Smith

In our series of self-publishing interviews, we are talking today to Angela Smith, a Texas native who, years ago, was dubbed most likely to write a novel during her senior year in high school. She always had her nose stuck in a book, even hiding them behind her textbooks during school study time. Her dream began at a young age when her sister started reciting ‘Brer Rabbit’ after their mom read it to them so often. She told her mom she’d write a story one day and never gave up on that dream even though her mom was never able to see it come to fruition. By day, she works as a certified paralegal and office manager at her local District Attorney’s office and spends her free time with her husband, their pets, and their many hobbies. Although life in general keeps her very busy, her passion for writing and getting the stories out of her head tends to make her restless if she isn’t following what some people call her destiny. Her latest book is Dark Justice.




You self-published your latest book, Dark Justice. Would you please tell us why you chose the self-publishing route? 

I love having the freedom that being indie gives me. I wanted complete control and didn’t want to wait years, as it often takes. Laws continue to change that could greatly affect this novel, and the longer I wait the more unbelievable it would become. Twelve years ago, DNA wasn’t like it is today.
Prosecutors in Texas didn’t have to give out all evidence or even test for DNA like they do now. And honestly, I’ve been with publishers and wanted to do this myself.

Take us through the process. You had an idea for your book, you wrote it, then you decided to find a publisher. What were your experiences with that? Or did you decide to self-publish without looking any farther?

I have been through the querying process with other books, but this time I didn’t even try. I am currently under contract with a sweet Christmas contemporary, so that went through the process of querying. Luckily with that one, my first choice offered me a contract, but I absolutely do know what it’s like going through queries and rejections. It’s tough. 

What different online stores carry your book?

Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Google Play, iTunes, and Kobo. Any others that Draft 2 Digital uses as well. 

Authors who go the traditional route have an edge over self-published authors in regards to distribution to bookstores. How did you handle that as a self-published author? 

I recognize that traditional publishing does give you an edge, but I also recognize that just because you are traditionally published doesn’t mean a bookstore will carry you or that you will “break out”. They might buy your book and return it, so where does that leave the author? It’s an exciting time for indie, and any brick and mortar store could buy it if they wanted, but honestly my book isn’t targeted for them. 

On the other hand, self-published authors have the edge over traditional books in the regards that the author has all the control. I’d like to begin with your cover. Did you make it or did you have someone else design it? If you had someone else, can you tell us who it is?

I have a cover designer, Steven Novak. I’m pretty sure he can read my mind when it comes to my book covers. Although I would love to be able to create like that, I am super grateful for him.

So where do you see self-published authors making the biggest mistakes overall?

Letting fear get in the way.

What do you believe the biggest advantages are when self-publishing?

100% control.

What was the hardest challenge for you to self-publish your book?

Marketing is always the hardest challenge, although that’s a challenge even traditionally.

They say self-publishers are control freaks. Do you think there is a lot of truth in that?

Not to me. I want what is best for my novel, which is why I hire people to help me make it the best. Sometimes that means giving up control. 

Did you get someone to format your book for you or did you do that?

I hire someone, although I learned Draft 2 Digital will format it well. 

What steps are you taking to promote it?

I am signed up through several book tours and marketing companies, one who did a complete social media takeover. I also am doing blog posts, interviews, and just recently completed my first video interview. 

Do you have any advice you’d like to share with other self-published authors?

Self-published doesn’t mean doing it alone. Always use an editor before you release but after you finish your last draft. Continue to learn and grow, and hire others to help when necessary. Don’t be afraid to ask questions of others! 

If you would like to find out more about Angela Smith and her books, take a look at her website and follow her on Facebook or Twitter.

Comments

Post a Comment