Interview with Self-Published Author Preston Howard

In our series of self-publishing interviews, we are talking today to retired attorney Preston Howard who obsesses about the newly elected, bombastic and narcissistic president, and three corrupt Austin police officers whom he represented and saved from capital murder charges and execution ten years before. After his wife divorces him and his drinking reaches gargantuan proportions, Howard’s thoughts turn to murderous impulses as the only way he can stamp out one, or both of his fixations. Howard and his co-author, daughter Anne Howard, tell the story, often with hilarious observations, of compulsion, addiction, love, and in the end, the search for justice.. His latest book is Justice Delayed is Justice Denied.


You self-published your latest book, Justice Delayed is Justice Denied. Would you please tell us why you chose the self-publishing route?

I am embarrassed to say that I went the self-publishing route for my novel Justice Delayed is Justice Denied” because no agent or publishing company would pick it up. Like many other authors in my situation, I felt like both this book and my first one, The Sheltering Palms, were damn good and worthy of an agent or publishing house. Either those folks didn’t see the quality of my writing, or maybe I just suck, but I don’t think so. LOL I do recognize that there is a glut of books on the market, and it is difficult to break through…frustrating, but a reality.

What different online stores carry your book? 

Amazon, Apple, Nook, Kobo, SCRIBD, 24S, Playster, Mondadori Store

Authors who go the traditional route have an edge over self-published authors in regards to distribution to bookstores. How did you handle that as a self-published author? 

Marketing and book available are the major difference between the traditional authors and self-publishing. Thus, I get the word out to friends (word of mouth and Facebook) and friends of friends, which is helpful. I also have signed up for Dorothy Thompson’s service, Pump Up Your Book, which I am hopeful will get me more exposure and interest in the novel.

On the other hand, self-published authors have the edge over traditional books in the regards that the author has all the control. I’d like to begin with your cover. Did you make it or did you have someone else design it? If you had someone else, can you tell us who it is?

A good friend and fellow author has tried the publishing route, and found it frustrating because she lost control of the process, so now only self-publishes. This lady designed my cover, formatted it for me, and also walked me through how to get the novel on the digital platforms. Her name is Ashley Fontainne, and she has been a life-saver!

So where do you see self-published authors making the biggest mistakes overall?

For me, not having the wherewithal to market the book. I would imagine other writers in my situation face the same problem.

They say self-publishers are control freaks. Do you think there is a lot of truth in that?

Not for me. I would have given up a little control to go the publisher route. I gave up any desire to control things when I retired as executive director of a police union. Can’t speak for other writers who self-publish.

Did you get someone to format your book for you or did you do that?

As I said previously, I used Ashley Fontainne to format the book. But I also need to mention a gentleman who edited my novel. His name is Jeff LaFerney and he is the best! Anyone looking for an editor would do well to use Jeff.

Do you have any advice you’d like to share with other self-published authors?

Don’t become frustrated or angry when an agent or publishing house rejects you. If you keep writing and your product is worthy, someone will eventually see the quality of your work. Good luck!


If you would like to find out more about Preston Howard and his books, take a look at his website and follow him on Facebook.

Comments